Monday, August 13, 2012

It Begins

40k hobby stuff. Recently got back into it. Haven't touched the stuff since like 2002 but just got the urge. Liked the fluff and steez of DE so I'm collecting, assembling, and painting the Kabal of the Slit Throat.

To set the scene: Painting (and drawing, and modeling, and whatever else) corner.


A closer look:


Three warriors (out of the old starter set, gifted by a friend) have ascended from the lightless murk of black basecoat to the corpse-light gleam of the tortured suns of Comorragh.





For first attempts, I'm cautiously optimistic. the leftmost warrior (first pic) was painted with a drybrush technique, and while quick, I wasn't terribly happy with the level of control my skill level afforded, so for the ensuing models I am attempting to freehand the building of the highlights. These "test" models were basecoated with Armory Primer, which is disgusting. It came out with that awful, granular, "flocking", so bad on most of the models that I had to strip and switch back to the trusty Rust-Oleum "Painter's Touch", which while somewhat less matte than the Armory crap, provides a reliable, thin, quick drying and smooth coat that obscures none of the details of the models.

The face on the helmless model I am repelled by. Not enough to strip the one and start over (yet), but I really need to practice my flesh technique and color layer combinations.








No comments:

Post a Comment